Enjoy these flavorful meatless meatballs hot out of the oven and topped with sweet and sour sauce or with a spaghetti sauce or gravy. They are also delicious in pita bread with your favorite trimmings. The sauce complements many recipes, including vegetables and rice in an oil-free stir-fry. Both recipes freeze well, so I highly recommend that you make enough for future quick meals.
Serves: 10 (3 meatball) servings) / 12 (3 tablespoons) sauce servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes / 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes / 3 minutes
1½ cups water-packed tofu OR 1 box Mori-Nu tofu, firm or extra-firm, mashed
½ cup quick oats
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
1 teaspoon basil
½ teaspoon sage
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups whole-grain bread crumbs, made from slices of whole-grain bread
¾ cup nuts or raw sunflower seeds, finely chopped or blended
Sweet and Sour Sauce
1 cup canned tomato sauce
1 cup pineapple juice
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1½ teaspoons onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine all ingredients except bread crumbs and nuts and mix well.
3. Break each slice of bread into 6 pieces. Pulse in blender or food processor.
4. Chop nuts or grind them in blender or food processor.
5. Mix everything together and let mixture sit for 5 minutes.
6. Using a ¾-oz. scoop, form mixture into meatballs, or roll 1½ tablespoons of dough by hand.
7. Bake on a prepared cookie sheet for 35 minutes.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a light boil, then stir constantly for 1 minute.
The best way to reheat meatballs is to place them in a baking dish and top with your favorite sauce or gravy. Meatballs will not stay together if dropped into a saucepan of sauce or gravy.
To make a loaf, add ¼ cup water to mixture. Bake in an oiled 8×8 baking dish, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
To make sandwich spread, crumble meatballs and mix with your favorite condiments. Serve with sliced tomatoes, onion, and lettuce.
Meatballs: calories 177.56, fat 6.03g, saturated fat 0.86g, cholesterol 0mg, sodium 248.34mg, carbohydrates 23.46g, fiber 3.38g, sugars 4.98g, protein 8.51g
Sweet and sour sauce: calories 31.52, fat 0.20g, saturated fat 0.00g, cholesterol 0mg, sodium, 174.58mg, carbohydrates 7.55g, fiber 0.45g, sugars 4.48g, protein 0.47g
This CREATION Life featured recipe is brought to you courtesy of AdventHealth Press.
Created by JoAnn Rachor, Copyright © AdventHealth Press